Start date: 2015
End date: /
The CGTEN-ANDEN is implementing activities against child labour in the La Dalia region (since 2015) and Léon region (since 2017, in Jicaral and Malpaisillo).
The main activities include:
- Trainings of teachers on child labour issues, as well as leadership and communication skills. There were also training in the cultural field, such as courses in traditional dance and the making of hand-crafted goods.
- Organization of summer schools in la Dalia and El Jicaral, for children who are not enrolled in school or at risk of dropping out, as a means of preventing children being put to work in the fields.
- Creation of 15 school clubs in La Dalia: they develop cultural and sport activities (traditional music and dances, football, etc) to the attractiveness of schools.
- Close monitoring of school absenteeism
Among the main results:
- Significant reduction in drop-out rates and return to school of former child labourers in the schools targeted by the project.
- Improved pedagogical approaches of the teachers, who integrated cultural aspects into their teaching methods, for example by using the making of handicrafts to teach mathematics in a practical way. This innovative pedagogy is much more attractive for the children and leads to a chain of positive consequences: pupils enjoy school more, their results improve, their motivation increases, which in turn increases the enthusiasm of the parents and teachers.
- Better relationship between the parents and the community. Teachers carry out home visits if a child is absent for more than two days. Before the project, teachers generally accepted that children would miss school one or two days per week but now children are in regular attendance.
- 28% increase in CGTEN-ANDEN membership in the La Dalia area between 2015 and 2018. The head teachers from all the schools involved with the project became members of the union, which as boosted the quality of the social dialogue at the local level.
- The education authorities in La Dalia have committed to extend certain innovations of the project to the whole municipality. This is the case for the visits of teachers to the homes of pupils who are at risk of dropping out of school or have already done so. The ANDEN training courses on communication and leadership have also been incorporated into the government teacher-training courses in the Municipality of La Dalia.
Samuel Grumiau (EI): firstname.lastname@example.org
GEW Fair Childhood Foundation, AOb, Mondiaal FNV