Start date: 01/05/2017
End date: 30/04/2020
Early Childhood Education
In Sri Lanka there is a rapid increase in the Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs), which is attributed to the unhealthy life styles people are now adopting for to conveniece. This trend is now seen even among children especially diabetes in very young children too.
ACUT, much concerned about this state, discussed with Dr. Kijo Deura, President, SSLFA and Advisor, RHTC, and drew up a project to create awareness among the ECE officials and Pre-school teachers on the need to promote an active healthy life style in children, aimed at the "Whole Child Development" and prevent the onset of NCDs in later life.
Through the teachers and children it is expected to reach the parents and the community, to create the attitudinal changes necessary for this project to succeed.
These Seminars and workshops are to be conducted in all the 25 districts, of the country at least 1 per district for all the ECE Officials and ECE/ preschool teacher leaders of each zone in the district -ei - for all those at decision making levels, so that they could spread these ideals to the entire district.
1. Promotion of Whole Child Development, from the earliest possible preschool age, as opposed to the intellectual development that is the focus of the parents now, at the expense of all the other development domains of a child.
2. Prevent the onset of Non-Communicable Diseases(NCDs) that is on a rapid increase in Sri Lanka, or at least greatly reduce the trend, thus reducing the unnecessary medical expenditure and the suffering of the people, so that they will grow up to be happier, healthier and much more productive and useful citizens of the country.
1. Seminars and workshops starting from the ECCE officials and preschool teacher leaders
2. Lobbying and advocacy to bring in the changes necessary by the authorities concerned.
3. Use of media to propagate the concept of whole child development and what needs to be done in that regard.